Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Cassie The Conqueror


Sometimes when I look back on my life I wonder, "have I actually accomplished anything?"

Usually my first answer is no. I tend to forget all the goals I have conquered in the past and only focus on the negatives. I am currently a graduate student who is working two jobs and taking nine hours of class (three of which are for my thesis!). Sometimes it seems like where I want to go in life is in a completely different direction from where I end up. Sometimes it can feel like I take two steps forward and five steps back!

But if I take a step back and think about it, I have actually accomplished some things in my life. So much so that you can feel free to call me Cassie the Conqueror. :) I was the first in my family to go to college and I was determined to graduate with a Bachelor of Science in four years - done. I had also set the goal for myself that I would get a job working with animals straight out of college - I was hired as a full-time Animal Trainer at the Texas State Aquarium before I had even graduated. 

Somewhere along the way I decided I wanted a change in life and spent half of a spring and early summer on Padre Island National Seashore protecting nesting Kemp's ridley seat turtles as a Seasonal Biological Science Technician. 

Here I am releasing a Kemp's who has a transmitter which is used to track migratory patterns

I also spent the last part of the summer watching young Aplomado Falcons take their first flight on Mustang Island for The Peregrine Fund as a Hack Site Attendant. Somewhere in all of that I was also part of H-E-B's Slim down Showdown weight loss challenge. Although I didn't win the competition I became a whole lot healthier and now weigh 56 pounds lighter! Not to mention I met some amazing people along the way!

After reflecting on everything it seems like I have conquered quite a few goals in my life and while my path hasn't always been the straightest it has been fun! My next goal is to get a Master's degree in Communication and marry my love of animals with my communication skills! I accumulate what I like to call "daily conquers" which get me one small step closer to that goal!

So follow me as I take little steps throughout life which will ultimately lead to greater victories! Along the way I will share all the knowledge I have learned about grad school, job hunting, and communication! I hope that one day you too can feel like calling yourself a conqueror!


No comments:

Post a Comment